11 September 2011

Raspberry & Lime Loaf




My cousin Jacqueline made this cake last year. It was so scrummy that I had to make it myself. I always forget to ask her for the recipe so this is my version.

I use the same basic sponge mix but the addition of raspberries and lime juice make it out of this world.

This went down a storm in the bake sale and I’m sure there will be quite a few people in my office jazzing up their normal drizzle cake with some raspberries.

Raspberry & Lime Loaf
(Makes a 2lb loaf tin)



Ingredients:
250g Butter, softened
250g Caster Sugar
250g Self Raising Flour, sifted
2tsp Baking Powder
4 Eggs
1 Punnet of Raspberries
2 Limes, Juiced
3 tbsp Caster Sugar


Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3. Grease or line a 2lb loaf tin.
  2. Put the butter and the sugar in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy and well mixed. Turn the mixer up to high speed, slowly add the egg and beat until everything is well incorporated.
  3. Add the flour and baking powder then continue to mix on a medium speed until all is incorporated.
  4. Pour half the mixture into the loaf tin then add the raspberries then the remainder of the cake mixture. Bake in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
  5. Leave to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack.
  6. When cool to the touch prick the cake with a knife or fork then squeeze over the juice of 1 lime.
  7. Leave to cool completely then make a drizzle topping. This is basically guess work on my behalf but normally about 3 tablespoons of sugar mixed with the juice of 1 lime. Spoon the sugary mixture over the cake.

1 comment:

  1. It is the loveliest cake Claire. So light and delicious. Here is my original recipe, just in case you want to see it.

    ReplyDelete