Whilst trawling through the internet one night I came across a cupcake site where someone had the idea to make jammie dodger cupcakes. Sorry but I can’t remember who it belonged to but I loved the idea. I don’t recall there being a recipe as such but the concept of creating the cupcake.
I used my tried and trusted sponge mix for the basis of this cupcake then put jam in the middle of the cake topped off with a strawberry buttercream and decorated with shortcake heart. These hearts were the cut outs from the home made jammie dodgers as I didn’t want to waste them. There was also a small amount of biscuit dough left over which I baked and used from crumbling over the top of the cakes.
Jammie Dodger Cupcakes
(Makes 12 good sized cupcakes)
250g Butter, softened
250g Caster Sugar
250g Self Raising Flour, sifted
2 tsp Vanilla Essence
Raspberry or Strawberry Jam
12 Shortcake Biscuit Hearts
Broken Shortcake Biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 160C / gas mark 4. Grease 2 round cake tins or if making cupcakes, place cupcake cases in a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Put the butter and the sugar in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy and well mixed. Turn the mixer up to high speed, slowly add the egg and beat until everything is well incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder and vanilla essence and continue to mix on a medium speed until
- Divide the batter evenly between the tins (or cupcake cases). Bake in the oven for 25 minutes for sponge, 15 minutes for cupcakes. A skewer should come out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack.
- When completely cool core the middle out of the cakes and insert some jam (I find the squirty bottles of smooth jam best for this)
Strawberry Butter cream
110g Butter, softened
500g Icing Sugar, sifted
Pink Food colouring
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, a few drops of strawberry flavouring, a few drops of food colouring and half the icing sugar until smooth – this can take several minutes with a hand mixer. Gradually add the remainder of the icing sugar and beat again until the buttercream is smooth and creamy.
- Ice the cakes with the buttercream.
- Blitz the shortcake biscuit in a food processor until it is fine crumbs. Sprinkle generously over the cakes then decorate with a shortcake biscuit heart.