I recently saw an advertisement in the Metro for Strawberry Tea. This is an annual fund raising event for Breast Cancer Care. Like many people, breast cancer has affected someone in my family.
I managed to talk my work into having a Bake Sale in honour of this wonderful charity. So on Wednesday 7th September, a few of us put on our pinnies and rolled up our sleeves and baked our hearts out.
By the end of the day we had raised £178.50.
49,000 people are affected by breast cancer every year.
The money we raised will make a huge difference to people living with breast cancer. Breast Cancer Care offers expert information, practical support and a friendly ear to anyone dealing with the confusion and fear of this life-threatening illness. It's online, over the phone and face-to-face support is free, thanks to the generosity of supporters.
October is Breast Cancer awareness month so please support the many charities out there doing there bit for this cause.
One of the yummy recipes featured on the Breast Cancer Care website is homemade Jammie Dodgers. I went with a heart shaped cookie cutter rather than around one and I thought they turned out really cute.
I also made Jammie Dodger Cupcakes, Raspberry and Lime Loaf and Cosmopolitan Cupcakes to keep within the pink theme.
Homemade Jammie Dodgers
(Makes 12-16 biscuits)
250g Unsalted Butter, softened
350g Plain Flour
125g Icing Sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
Pinch of Salt
200g Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add the flour, icing sugar and salt. Combine all the ingredients until you have a nice dough. Wrap the dough ball in cling film and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- After chilling, roll out the dough and cut into rounds with a circular-shaped cookie cutter. Place half of the biscuits on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- For the other half of the biscuits, cut out a heart shape in the middle and place on a second lined baking tray.
- Bake both sets of biscuits in the oven for 6–8 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Spread half of the biscuits with jam and cover with the heart-shape biscuits.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on top.