19 May 2012

Honey & Walnut Cake







I was fortunate to get a space at the recent Edinburgh Cake Ladies event held at Bon Papillon. This involves 20 ladies bringing along their baked goods then everyone getting to eat the cakes whilst chatting away. This is my idea of a perfect night out.

The theme for the evening was Towers of Terrific Tray bakes. This should have been an easy assignment however I was in Newcastle when asked to submit the name of my entry and with no cook books to hand I had to rely on my not so good memory. After a few minutes of contemplation I was convinced that I had a honey and walnut cake recipe ripped out of a recent Asda magazine. Turns out my memory isn't as bad as I first thought as I did indeed have the recipe.

The cake batter does look a bit lumpy but please don't let that put you off as it smells delicious when baking and tastes fab. I did a trial a week before the event which I took into my work and it was devoured in minutes.

The evening didn't start well of me - stuck in traffic, my car got a puncture and then to top it off Colin Firth made an appearance at Bon Papillon and none of us noticed. However, I ate plenty of cake and met loads of lovely ladies.




Honey and Walnut Cake
(Makes 12 slices)

Ingredients:

100g Walnuts
175g Butter
100g Clear Honey
100g Caster Sugar
3 Large Eggs
225g Self Raising Flour


Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 160C / Gas Mark 3. Line or grease a 20cm shallow square tin.
  2. Put the walnuts on a baking try and lightly toast in the oven for 5-6 minutes. Chop roughly and set aside.
  3. Melt the butter in a pan. Add the honey and sugar, heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then pour into a bowl and leave until lukewarm.
  4. Lightly beat the eggs and add to the honey mixture using a wire whisk to make sure they're evenly mixed in.
  5. Gently stir in the walnuts and flour.
  6. Pour into the tin and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the top spring back when lightly pressed. Cool on a wire rack then cut into slices.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm, sounds good Claire. Cake and Colin Firth or both together. Again Mmmmmmmmmm :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Colin Firth ignored in favour of tray bakes lol! Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete