19 February 2012

Apple and Blackberry Crumble Cake




Sorry it has been so long since I lasted posted in my blog. Life has been fairly hectic over the past few months. Redecorating kitchen and living room, Christmas and New Year and just when things were finally getting back to normal I went and got a puppy. I’m hoping that I can now get back to baking.

This recipe was in a copy of Woman magazine. It looked so good that I had to make it.

I used frozen blackberries that I had defrosted overnight as I was struggling to find fresh ones. I'm sure you could substitute the apple and blackberries for any other type of frozen or tinned fruit.

Delicious served warm with custard. I think this will be a firm favourite over the winter.

Apple and Blackberry Crumble Cake
(Makes 9inch round cake)

Ingredients:

275g Butter
50g Plain Flour
50g Demerara Sugar
225g Caster Sugar
4 Eggs, beaten
175g Self Raising Flour
50g Ground Almonds
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 Small Bramley Apples, sliced
225g Blackberries

Directions:

  1. Heat the oven to 180C / Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 9 inch spring-clip cake tin.
  2. With your fingertips rub 50g of the butter into the plain flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the demerara sugar and set aside for the topping.
  3. Cream together the rest of the butter with the caster sugar until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs until the mixture is smooth, adding a little of the flour if it starts to curdle. Fold in the flour, almonds and baking powder. Spread the mixture in the tin.
  4. Arrange the apple slices on top, then scatter over the blackberries topping with the crumble mixture.
  5. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool cake in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out.

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea to make this into a cake! lovely recipe and would LOVE a slice or two right now!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that does look good Claire. I wish I had spotted this post earlier, I could have added it to the bookmarked recipe challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've come on over from Jacquelines recent blog entry to find you. Had i still been in Glasgow we may have met. Anyway, this is a lovely recipe and one I really really have to make.

    ReplyDelete